Yemen ICT Training
The Ministry of Higher Education in Yemen, in cooperation with all the public universities in Yemen and the Delft University of technology in the Netherlands are taking part in a project titled “Yemen ICT Training”. This project which began in 2007 is to be completed in 2011.
Higher Education institutes in Yemen will have, through the provision of professional training to ICT professionals and ICT end-user groups, the human capacities and capabilities for making optimal use, managing and maintaining all common ICT assets and information resources on institutional and national levels in the Republic of Yemen (RoY).
The project addresses the training needs of ICT professionals and ICT end-user groups employed by the public institutes of higher education in Yemen as expressed in the tender issued by the Nuffic within the framework of its Netherlands Programme for the Institutional Strengthening of Post-secondary Education and Training Capacity (NPT). It seeks to complement the planned results of the ongoing NPT/YEM/220 PROJECT, “Design and Implementation of the Yemen Centre of Information Technology in Higher Education (YFIT-HE) and strengthen the information resource capability of the HEIs as part of the government’s efforts to strengthen the academic performance of the higher education sector and contribute to country’s sustainable development.
The project is implemented under the umbrella of the Directorate for Training of the Yemen Foundation of Information Technology in Higher Education (YFIT-HE). The training will be organized and coordinated by the YFIT-HE. More about the YFIT-HE, click here>>
With the installation of sector- and university- wide ICT services and data communication networks in the near future, the higher education sector and the individual universities are challenged to:
* Set up competent, adequately trained ICT technical support (ICT resource management) groups tasked with the responsibility of securing the continuous operations and maintenance of ICT services and data communication infrastructures in place;
* Educate the University’s academic and support staff as well as the student community at large, in using its ICT resources for instruction and research as well as for management and administrative purposes.
Since this project proposal intends to provide technical/professional training to ICT administrators, staff and trainers (especially of end-users), it directly addresses the aforementioned challenges which, in turn, correspond with the ICT Master Plan components, “Professional Competence Development” and “End-User Skills Development”.
In accordance with the approved Yemeni National ICT Policy and Master Plan for Higher Education, the following project objectives are defined:
1. To provide professional training services to ICT groups at the public universities in Yemen so as to ensure continuous availability of ICT services and data communication infrastructure which have been set up through complementary projects.
2. To set off a new generation of faculty, staff and students who are exposed to and adequately equipped with at least basic ICT skills, thus ensuring optimal utilisation of ICT infrastructure and services put in place.
3. To establish in YFIT-HE, within the framework set by the NPT/YEM/220/YFIT project, an institutional capacity that can provide quality ICT professional services and training to the country’s higher education sector on a continuing basis.